Artist in Residence (AIR)
Information & Application Instructions
Welcome to the Artist in Residence application for Art Produce. We ask that you please read through each section carefully to ensure that this residency is the right fit for both you and Art Produce. Thank you!
About our residency program:
Art Produce is a multi-disciplinary space that includes artist studios, a community room, edible garden, on-site restaurant, and gallery, all of which are utilized for public and private events, workshops, and pop-up exhibits. Designed for community engagement experiences and social practice arts, the AIR program furthers our mission to build community and foster civic engagement through arts, education, and public culture.
Residencies are project based, intended to support development of new work or on-going works and to expand artistic practices. Artists in any discipline and at any stage of their careers may apply. Residencies are scheduled throughout the year, vary in length from several weeks to 3 months. We require, at minimum, 1 community engagement experience or public event hosted by the artist during each residency.
Short temporal exhibits, pop-up events, performances and interactive engagement activities are welcomed and open to artists outside of the residency program. Before applying, we strongly encourage you to visit the space, explore the programs and events, meet the folks here and learn about what we do.
Residency Overview/Application Process:
We encourage applications for all artistic disciplines, including but not limited to, visual artists, dancers, poets, writers, filmmakers, art educators, curators, and musicians. We provide indoor studio and outdoor work space, work tables, and some limited shared equipment.
Residencies are scheduled throughout the year and vary in length from several weeks to 3 months. Art Produce will co-host a culminating exhibit/event/celebration to showcase the work created during residency. This might include an exhibition opportunity, a performance or other temporal event in the storefront gallery space or another of the exhibition spaces at Art Produce. Exhibitions range in length from 1 evening to 8 weeks. Artists-in-residence are expected to host, at minimum, 1 community engagement experience, public workshop, reading, lecture, open studio or other public event.
Applications are reviewed quarterly and kept on file. Once your application is submitted, artists will receive a confirmation email that Art Produce has received your application materials. We will contact you again within a few months to schedule a follow-up interview if we determine your proposal a good fit for the program. We do not provide artist stipends and the residency does not include living accommodations. There is no application fee.
We at Art Produce are passionate about supporting the production and accessibility of public culture. We love our work and we love saying yes. Since you will be working in close proximity, we encourage you to learn about our mission and what we do.
To find artists whose practice is in keeping with our mission and values, we ask our applicants to answer the following prompts. Please feel free to include links and other relevant information, projects or collaborations.
AIR Application Questions:
1. Tell us about yourself and your artistic practice.
2. Describe your proposed project, how it would be developed through this residency, how it aligns with our mission, and why you desire the AIR opportunity.
3. Describe your experience with collaborations, community engagement, or social practice. What other arts organizations, non-profits, galleries, or schools have you been involved with? What will you bring to the Art Produce community?
4. What is your preferred start date and your preferred length of residency at Art Produce? Please list month and year. (We will do our best to consider preferences but cannot guarantee them.)
5. How did you hear about Art Produce Gallery/How did you learn about this residency opportunity?
Include with your application questions:
- Professional website or links to recent work
- 3 professional or academic references. Include email, phone number, and relationship
Please save all files as 1 PDF and all images as jpegs. Email your completed application to Lynn Susholtz.